What do we mean by Melanated skin?
Melanated skin refers to highly pigmented skin, containing melanin in high concentrations.
All skin is unique and that’s why there is no one size fits all approach to skincare! Everyone’s skincare needs are different, but certain skin types are more prone to certain skin conditions. For example, Melanated skin is more prone to hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and uneven skin tone; thankfully though we have a number of tools at our disposal to treat these concerns.
If you have melanated skin, maintaining a healthy skincare regimen tailored towards your specific skincare concerns is vital if you want your skin to thrive!
Here are the our top tips for caring for your beautiful melanated skin:
- Wear Sunscreen: You knew this one was coming didn’t you ;). It’s vital to protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun by applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day! Our Throwing Shade is a mineral Zinc Oxide non-irritating physical sunscreen that deflects UVA/UVB rays!
- Hydrate and lock in moisture: Melanated skin can be more prone to dryness, so it's important to keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water, using Hyaluronic Acid, having a humidifier in your home, and using a gentle, hydrating moisturizer. We recommend our nourishing Moisture Therapy!
- Avoid Harmful Chemicals: Avoid using skincare products that contain harsh chemicals such as alcohol, benzoyl peroxide, and salicylic acid, as they can worsen hyperpigmentation and cause further damage to your skin.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Regular exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells and brighten your skin, but it's important to choose a gentle exfoliant and not over-exfoliate, which can lead to further skin damage.
- Use Vitamin C in the morning: Ya’ll know how much I adore Vitamin C. It’s a powerful antioxidant that can help brighten skin and improve hyperpigmentation. Check out or blog post dedicated to this powerhouse ingredient and our Vitamin C enriched products that we recommend.
- Get Plenty of Sleep: Catching those Z’s is SO important for overall health, and it can also help improve the appearance of your skin. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night and invest in a comfortable pillow to protect your skin while you sleep.
- Protect Your Skin: In addition to wearing sunscreen, it is important to protect your skin from environmental damage by avoiding prolonged sun exposure and wearing protective clothing, such as hats and sunglasses.
- Treat acne to prevent scarring and hyperpigmentation: Check out our Hue New Kit which contains products aimed at targeting stubborn acne. You can also book in for a virtual consult to discuss a personalised regimen.
So that’s it! By following these top tips you can help maintain the health and integrity of your beautiful complexion. It's important to listen to your skin and make any necessary adjustments to your regimen as needed.
…and don’t forget, If you’re struggling with your skin and need some advice, you can book a virtual consult at anytime!